Software and data preparation requirements for AstroGrid DSA/Catalog Hands-On Session
System requirements for installing AstroGrid
- Java 1.5
- Apache Tomcat (suggested version: 5.0.28 (recommended) or 5.5.20)
- The latest AstroGrid DSA/catalog component: Download it now
Linux/unix is also recommended.
Notes for those wishing to wrap their own catalogue data
The following RDBMS systems are known to work with the DSA/catalog component:
- MySQL (tested against v. 4.1)
- PostgreSQL (tested against v. 7.2, v. 8.1)
- Microsoft SQL Server (tested against v. 8.0)
- Sybase (tested against v. 15.0)
- HSQLDB (tested against v. 1.8)
Other (later) versions of these RDBMS systems are also likely to work; earlier versions may not. Oracle is currently not supported, but we hope it will be soon.
Sample data will be supplied for use in the DSA/catalog Hands-On Session. However, you are encouraged to try installing a DSA/catalog component against some of your own data.
To do this, you can either:
- Bring your own data on your laptop, pre-loaded into a suitable RDBMS installation on the laptop
- Access your "real" data on a remote RDBMS installation, which will require:
- Remote JDBC access (can be read-only) enabled for one or more databases in your remote RDBMS
- Knowledge of the relevant JDBC username and password for that JDBC access
- JDBC access enabled on one of these "standard" ports: 3306 (MySQL ), 5432 (PostgreSQL ), 1433 (SQLServer). (any other ports may be blocked by the firewall).
- 18 Jun 2007
Topic revision: r4 - 21 Jun 2007 - 11:30:58 - KonaAndrews