Goal of WP4 and therefore TEG is to produce a white paper presenting a framework for inclusion of theory into the virtual observatory. So I propose to focus the discussion on how to proceed with this. In discussion with Herve we cam up with the following course outline for the contents of the white paper from which we can extract action items for the TEG members.

Participants:

  • GL Gerard Lemson
  • HW Herve Wozniak
  • NW Nick Walton
  • PO Pedro Osuna
  • MC Miguel Cervino
  • SC Santi Cassisi

Outline white paper:

1. Review work on "theory in the VObs" so far:
  • whitepaper Lemson & Colberg
  • IVOA Theory interest group (TIG)
  • existing census results/inventory
  • example sof concrete services, data sets published online, and VO-like

2. Gathering requirements

  • How: theory specific questionnaire as contribution to Euro-VO DCA census (extend to IVOA TIG) + existing census results (if available)
  • Describe results of questionnaire
  • extract requirements from result
  • discuss what (if) is being done to address these

3. Proposals for actions to

  • IVOA
  • Euro-VO
    • VOTECH
    • DCA
    • FC
  • individual data centers

4. Gather feedback on expectations of feasibility for these proposals and what resources are required

  • roadmap
  • cost estimates

action items concerning the white paper (need to associate TEG names to AIs)

  • create theory specific questionnaire (by mail and/or wiki page?)
  • TEG telecon to finalise questionnaire (begining of June
  • send out questionnaire to national data centers (in Francoise's definition of a DC) and astronomers in member countries (end of June)
  • send reminder to them beginning of September
  • deadline end of september
  • TEG face2face meeting beginning October to interpret results and come up with proposals
  • write first draft of whitepaper, beginning of Dec 2007 to be discussed in ...

theory workshop

We are supposed to organise a workshop, back2back with WP5-Grid in "month 17" Idea is to invite people who responded to census and have them present their thoughts. After this we will discuss these and the proposals we come up with with the participants. Hopefully we can find some natural subjects (different types of simulations, tools, grid) to subdivide the meeting in.

action items concerning the workshop

  • contact WP5 about their thoughts when/where
  • organise workshop in month 17 (Jan 2008?)
    • announcement, invitations, ...

further

We will incorporate the conclusions form the workshop in the next draft of the whitepaper. That we will send around to the participants for feedback, which is to be incorporated in the final draft. which must be ready in month 26 (Sep 2008?)

  • 2nd draft ready end of March 2008
  • send out to participants, ask for feedback by end of May 2008.
  • also discuss it at IVOA interop in Trieste, May 2008.
  • finalise white paper by end of July

Roadmap

  • June 1, 2007: Theory questionnaire first draft
  • shortly hereafter: TEG telecon discussing and finalising questionnaire (4-8 June ?)
  • June 30, 2007: Send out draft questions to community, include workshop announcement
  • Sep 1, 2007: Send out reminder to answer the questionnaire
  • Sep 30, 2007: deadline questionnaire
  • Early October, F2F of TEG (GL create Doodle poll)
  • Dec 1, 2007: draft 1 of whitepaper ready, send out to participants workshop
  • Jan 2008, workshop
  • March 2008, 2nd draft whitepaper ready, and sent out to participants for feedback
  • May 31 2008: deadline for feedback on whitepaper
  • July 31 2008: final draft ready

Minutes (Herve Wozniak)

GL: agenda sent on monday;

presentation of participants

GL: introduction on what we have to do in WP4

  • write a white paper (WP) on the framework of the inclusion of theory in the VO
  • organize workshop in january 2008
  • outline of the WP on EURO-VO wiki page
  • census of data centre (by DCA). could be done for theory (data and services)
  • outcomes are requirements from the users community
  • first have to create a questionnaire with theory specific questions
  • census may be extended to IVOA to see differences between Europe and other VO
  • analyze the cost + feasibility of proposals

SC: how to contact people for a census?

GL: national representative

MC: contact by field instead of nation

SC: what's the strategy for references

GL: not specific to WP4.

MC: should we push this question to IVOA?

GL: could be adresses in the WP

PO: action on him to get the list of centers of EURO-VO and prioritize. but political problems. sensitive issue. the list of data centers must be incomplete. problem with ESA: not a unique nationality

GL: work to be done by WP2

SC: theoretical archives are often associated to a small group, not a data center.

GL: cross the 'national' and 'field' approaches

NW: draft census of data centers already done

PO: not yet published because sensitive issue

GL: is there any 'theoretical' data center-like in the draft census?

...

GL: we must contact people making theory outside data center [ACTION : GL must contact Francoise Genova and Matthias Depretz to get information on who has been contacted]

...

GL: action put questionnaire on the wiki page for those who have discussion on the questionaire on wiki and email telecon TBD with doodle.ch [gives the schedule (available on wiki page)]

NW: quetionnaire on a web form

GL: could follow IVOA assessment web form ACTION GL: draft questionnaire send aourn

Next face-to-face meeting: october 2008

No other questions

-- GerardLemson - 11 Apr 2007

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r4 < r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r4 - 09 May 2007 - GerardLemson
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback